The library is delighted to offer an exciting program for pre-readers: 1000 Books Before Kindergarten! This independent incentive program encourages you to read daily to your child, beginning during infancy and going strong straight through pre-k.
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book – any book – to your newborn, infant, toddler, or preschooler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (Yes, you can repeat books!) before your child starts kindergarten. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year. Completion can take anywhere from a few months to a few years, depending on how often you read.
How to Participate
- Pick up a welcome packet in the Youth Services department with instructions and tips. You may join at any time during the year. When you join, you will be given a ReadSquared account to keep track of your progress. You can also sign up on your own at ebpl.readsquared.com and pick up your welcome packet later in the library.
- Read with your child. The program encourages parents and caregivers to provide positive, nurturing early experiences by reading aloud daily to children. Reading to children builds vocabulary, language skills, and prepares them to enter kindergarten with the skills necessary for success. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for both of you.
- Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Add your titles to the log sheets provided by the library or on the app (search “1000 Books Before Kindergarten” on your iPhone or Android), or whatever method you want. The journal itself will make a great keepsake item for you and your child.
- Make sure to record any book that has been read to your child. This includes books read by siblings, grandparents, teachers, books read at library story times, books read on e-readers, and books viewed on Tumblebooks.
- Show a librarian in the Youth Services department your log at each 100-book milestone, or log the books yourself on your child’s ReadSquared account. A sticker will be awarded at each 100 level. A special incentive will be given at 100 books, 500 books, and 1000 books!
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten may participate.
How many of my children can participate?
All of them, provided they have not yet started kindergarten. Make it even more fun and read as a family.
If we read the same book twice, does it “count” twice?
Yes! If you read the same book 25 times (and we know you might), it counts 25 times!
Is there a suggested reading list?
Any librarian in the Youth Services department can help you select books. You can also go to www.1000BooksBeforeKindergarten.com for suggestions.
What if we can’t finish the program before my child starts kindergarten?
You may enter your favorite titles that you have read with your child before joining. For children who are entering kindergarten in the Fall, you may have until December of that year to complete the program. Remember that any amount of reading will be beneficial to your child.