Update from the U.S Department of State
Please read the Passport Operations in Response to COVID-19 information from the U.S. Department of State
The East Brunswick Public Library is an officially-designated passport application acceptance facility with passport processing hours set for your convenience and free parking.
Passports by Appointment
- Passport appointments can be made by calling 732-390-6761.
- We are able to process DS11 applications only at this time. Customers who qualify to use this form are:
- First time applicants
- Children with or without prior passports (if the applicant was under the age of 16 when the expired passport was issued
- Adults who have passports that expired more than 5 years
- Processing Time
- Routine Procesing will take 10-12 weeks to arrive.
- Expedited Processing will take 4-6 weeks to arrive.
- Hours are:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 12 pm – 5 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday: 12 pm – 8 pm
- Saturday: 10 am – 4 pm
- Sundays: 12 pm - 4 pm.
- Please come to the entrance of the library at your assigned time. The welcome desk will direct you to the passport office.
- Masks are required to be worn in the library as per New Jersey Executive Orders and the East Brunswick Public Library Code of Conduct.
- Passport customers may sit in the café area during their appointment time, but must leave the area upon completion.
Table of Contents
You must apply in person if:
- You are a first time applicant,
- Your previous passport was issued before you were 16 years of age, or
- Your previous passport expired more than five years ago.
- All minors must be present and both parents must execute the application. Minors age 16 and over must execute the application. One parent should accompany minors ages 16 to 17 unless the minor has a valid driver's license (not a learner's permit).
To obtain a U.S. passport, you will need each of the following four items:
(Be prepared to surrender these documents: they will be returned by the Depart. of State approx. 1 week after receiving your passport.)
U.S. born persons need an original birth certificate, listing both parents' names, with a raised seal and filing date from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or city of birth. Hospital-issued birth certificates and birth certificates issued by Hudson County Clerk's Office or the city of Jersey City are not acceptable. If your birth certificate was issued by the Hudson County Clerk's Office or the city of Jersey City, you must obtain a birth certificate from the New Jersey Bureau of Vital Statistics in Trenton (609-292-4087 or 609-633-2860).
Children under the age of 16 - All minors must appear in person
Both parents must execute the application of a minor under the age of 16 with valid ID. If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must have notarized written consent of the other parent granting permission (Form DS3053) along with a copy of front and back of the ID used to perform the notary. Other acceptable documents for a non-appearing parent are death certificates, court orders granting sole custody or a Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances (Form DS-5525). Birth certificates are required for children who have had previous passports to establish parental relationship.
Minors age 16 and over must execute the application. One parent should accompany minors ages 16 and 17 unless the minor has a valid driver's license (not a learner's permit). Please see the back of DS-11 for more information.
Foreign-born persons must submit a naturalization certificate. Foreign-born children of naturalized parents may apply for a U.S. passport, provided the child was under the age of 18 when the parents became naturalized. Please call us (732-390-6761) for requirements.
- Valid New Jersey driver's license
- Out of state driver's license (requires one additional ID)
- Naturalization Certificate
- Prior US passport
- Government employee ID
- Official Military ID card
If you do not have any of the above mentioned ID items, please call us (732-390-6761) for further information.
Present 1 passport photograph taken within the past 6 months. Photos MUST BE 2x2 inches in size (no exceptions). It should be front view with a white or off-white plain background. The customer must be the only person in the photo.
East Brunswick Library offers on-site photo services - the fee is $12.00 for 2 photos.
You will need to make TWO payments: one to the U.S. Department of State (separate check per person) and one to The Library. All fees are set by the Department of State and are non-refundable. All passport processing facilities charge the same fees.
This fee must be paid by check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of State." One check/money order per application form. On bottom left side of check/money order, please write applicant's full name and date of birth.
|Passport Books||Routine Service
|Expedited Service for Passport
Books (4-6 weeks)
|Express Mail(for Expedited Service)|
|Adults (age 16 & older)||$110||+ $60 = $170||+ $17.56 = $187.56|
|Children (under age 16)||$80||+ $60 = $140||+ $17.56 = $157.56|
Execution Fee, Photos, Express Mail for Expedited Service
|Execution Fee||Photos||Express Mail Service|
|$35||+ $12 = $47||+ $26.35 = $73.35|
The Department of State began offering a U.S. Passport Card the summer of 2008 in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card has the same period of validity as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger.
The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.
|Passport Cards||Routine Service
|Expedited Service for Passport
Cards (4-6 weeks)
|Express Mail is not available for Passport Cards|
|Adults (age 16 & older)||$30||+ $60 = $90||N/A|
|Children (under age 16)||$15||+ $60 = $75||N/A|
A previous passport book holder, eligible to use Form DS-82 , may apply for a passport card as a Renewal. First time applicants for a U.S. Passport, and those not eligible to use the DS-82, should apply for a passport card using Form DS-11.
Please visiton obtaining the latest information on processing times and restrictions.