The East Brunswick Public Library offers basic Notary Services to residents of Middlesex County.
Notary service is not available for verifying identity on I-9 forms, foreign pension forms, certified copies of vital records, estate documents and any documents related to settlement of an estate.
Table of Contents
Library Notaries witness a customer signing a document or signing a sworn statement on a document. The Library Notary documents that:
- The signer of the document appeared before the Notary;
- The Notary positively identified the signer, records the transaction in his/her ledger; and
- The signer both acknowledged the signature as his/her, and that the signature was made willingly.
The following are guidelines that must be followed in order to have a document notarized at the library.
- The person who will sign the document must provide the Notary with at least one valid form of photo identification with a signature. The Notary may decline to notarize a document if the signer cannot provide acceptable ID.
- Acceptable forms of IDs
- A current valid passport from any country, written in a language that the Notary can read;
- A valid driver’s license;
- A valid non-drivers photo identification card issued by the state or federal government;
- A United States Military identification card.
- The person who will sign the document must be sure that the document is completely filled out, leaving no blanks other than where the customer will sign the document, before appearing before the Library Notary. Library Notaries will not notarize a document that has already been signed by the customer.
- Library Notaries will only notarize documents written in English.
- Library Notaries must be able to communicate in English directly with the signer. Library notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with individuals requesting Notary services.
- If witnesses are required, the library recommends bringing an individual who is personally known to the signer. The witness must also bring photo ID. Witnesses may not be solicited from patrons using the library.
- The Library Notary cannot certify copies of vital records such as birth, marriage and death. Please note that certified copies of many documents such as birth, marriage or death certificates are available from the original issuing authority. The Library Notary can issue a notarized affidavit of a copy, and witness the signature. This places the responsibility on the person making the copy. The library will not take responsibility for notarized copies that are unacceptable for their intended purpose.
In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary service raises any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. The Library Notary may at his/her sole discretion decline to provide Notary Service.
The charge for Notary service is $2.50 per notary signature, as recommended by the state of New Jersey, Department of Treasury. Upon request, if staff are available, the Library will provide witnesses for $2.00 per signature. The library recommends bringing an individual/s who is/are personally known to the signer if the document requires witnesses.
Notary Services are available during the Library’s hours of operation and are not available in the (30) minutes prior to closing. Notary Services are provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Library provides notary service during these hours:
Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Friday & Saturday: 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday: 1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The library will be closed on August Sundays.
The Library conveniently provides Notary Services at the Customer Service Desk and the Passport Office.
East Brunswick Public Library
2 Jean Walling Civic Center
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Free parking is available in 3 lots, or on the street alongside the building.
If you require further information, please contact the Administration Office at 732-390-6781, Monday through Thursday 10:00am - 5:00pm and Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm.