Haven or Hell? Jews in the Philippines During WWII (Zoom)
For years, Sandy Lanman knew her grandmother Elsie had escaped Germany to the Philippines only to lose her husband Gunther in the brutal Battle of Manila at the end of World War II. Aside from a few photos and family stories, she knew little else. In 2019, a serendipitous encounter on Facebook led her to Gunther’s great-nephew and a trove of photos of Elsie and Gunther in Manila. The discovery sparked her interest in the history of this little-known Jewish haven. Through film, photos and Elsie’s own words, Sandy's presentation tells the story of the rescue of 1,300 European Jews and the terrors they faced under Japanese rule during World War II.
Sandy Lanman is an award-winning writer and public relations professional. She began her career as a staff writer for The Home News in New Brunswick, where she won awards for health, medical and human interest writing. She has worked in public relations for Crossroads Theatre Company, New Jersey Network and Rutgers University, and as a consultant and writer serving clients in higher education, the arts and nonprofit sector, and is on the boards of the Friends of the East Brunswick Environmental Commission and Central Jersey Jewish Historic Society. Sandy has a B.A. in English from Douglass College and master’s in communication and information studies from Rutgers’ School of Communication and Information.
Sponsored by the Friends of the Library
Not familiar with Zoom, do not worry, EBPL has a tutorial for that, click on this link .
Please plan to join the meeting 10 minutes prior to the program so your device has time to connect.
INSTRUCTIONS TO CONNECT
- To join our Zoom Meeting click on (link) or
- copy/paste: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84107750718
- Meeting ID: 841 0775 0718
- Password: 171326
- To dial-in via telephone for audio instead of joining the webinar: 929 436 2866
FOR COMPUTER USERS
- Your computer must have a monitor. You do not need a camera or microphone.
- Click (or copy/paste) this link into a web browser to access the Zoom virtual meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84107750718
- Zoom may ask you to download and install the application file for you to join the meeting. Download and install the file so you can connect to Zoom.
- To hear the program, you can either use your computer’s speakers or call in using a telephone. Select which one you prefer.
- If you have a camera & microphone, you will be muted during the program. You will be able to view the presentation and hear it, but you will not be seen or heard.
- Have a question for the presenter? You can press the Chat button on the bottom of the screen and type you question in the lower right corner. You question will be answered at the end of the program.