Option Green: The Sky by Day and By Night: an introduction to the heavens(Zoom)
Jim Peck has been an amateur astronomer since the age of 10 when he watched the first ever man made satellite, the Russian Sputnik 1, travel across the night sky in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1957.
Jim will lead a virtual program called The Sky By Day and By Night which will cover such topics as the moon, planets, stars and constellations, deep sky objects, artificial satellites, and the sun’s path across the sky. The intended audience is anyone with a keen interest in the sky and will appeal to adults and science oriented kids over the age of 12.
He will use software that shows the sky exactly as you would see it if you went outside after dark right outside the library. He can also speed up time and adjust the location to show numerous astronomica objects from anywhere on earth.
Jim has led astronomy programs while Education Director of the American Littoral Society (coastal conservation group) on Sandy Hook and as Executive Director of the Cora Hartshorn Arboretum and Bird Sanctuary in Short Hills. He wrote the Trail Mix Nature Column for the Gannett Newspaper chain for 14 years as he explored the state from High Point to Cape May. Jim has spoken at Public Libraries all across NJ.
Sponsored by the Friends of the Library & the Friends of the East Brunswick Environmental Commission.
This event is part of the ongoing Option Green lecture series.
This event will be held on the Zoom platform. Please make sure you have the application installed on your computer, iOS, or Android device.
Please plan to join the meeting 10 minutes prior to the program so your device has time to connect.
INSTRUCTIONS TO CONNECT
- To join our Zoom Meeting click on (or copy/paste) link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85289744878
- Meeting ID: 852 8974 4878
- Password: 32 52 07
- To dial-in via telephone for audio instead of joining the webinar: 929-436-2866
FOR COMPUTER USERS
- Your computer must have a monitor. You do not need a camera or microphone.
- Click (or copy/paste) this link into a web browser to access the Zoom virtual meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85289744878
- Zoom may ask you to download and install the application file for you to join the meeting. Download and install the file so you can connect to Zoom.
- To hear the program, you can either use your computer’s speakers or call in using a telephone. Select which one you prefer.