East Brunswick Public Library 3D Printer Policy
The East Brunswick Public Library’s 3D Laser Printer (Glow Forge brand) gives patrons of all ages, access to tools, techniques, and hands-on learning experiences that will spark their imaginations and enrich their lives.
Staff will not provide on-demand instruction and may not be able to help troubleshoot with projects. Patrons must come prepared with knowledge of how to operate the Glow Forge 3D Laser Printer before your appointment.
- The library’s 3D laser printer and shall only be used for lawful purposes.
The following are examples of prohibited uses and prohibited outcomes from using the library's 3D Laster Printer:
- Those prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
- Creating any items that can be viewed as threatening, offensive, or inappropriate for the library and the EB Create environment, as determined by the Library in its sole discretion.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. Printers are restricted from reproducing material that is subject to copyright, patent, or trademark protection.
- Objects that are too large for the printer’s plate.
- Laser engraving or cutting using materials that lead to noxious fumes or an unsafe/unhealthy environment, as determined by authorized Library staff, in their sole discretion.
- Patrons must be 18 years or older to use 3D Laser Printing equipment or must be accompanied by a guardian or caregiver that is at least 18 years of age.
- Before anyone will be permitted to use a 3D Laser Printer, they must sign an indemnification and hold harmless agreement, releasing and agreeing to indemnify the East Brunswick Library, the Library Board of Trustees and the Township of East Brunswick, for any claims arising out of or related to the user’s use of the Library’s 3D Laser Printer, including any claims arising out of or related to whatever the user creates with the Library’s 3D Laser Printer.
- The Library reserves the right to deny or cancel any 3D Laser Printer appointment or other request.
- The 3D Laser Printer will be available by appointment only and may only be booked for a maximum of three hours at a time, which includes setup and cleanup. Before patrons make an appointment, the design and list of materials being used must be sent to EBCreate for approval. Only Glow Forge proof-grade materials can be used. These materials tell the machine the correct settings. This is for the safety of the user, the staff and the equipment. For the safety of the user, the staff and the equipment, acrylic and plastic-based material may not be used in the Glow Forge.
- A laptop with the Glow Forge software will be provided, or patrons may bring in their own device to use with the Glow Forge.
- The use of the library 3D Laser Printer must comply with all other Library policies.
- Patrons must provide raw materials for 3D laser printing and cutting. If or when materials are made available by the Library, fees will be set by Library administration and staff based on the cost of those materials. Since costs change over time, these fees may change at the Library administration’s discretion.
- If or when 3D printing or 3D laser printing programs are classes are offered and led by library staff, materials may be offered for free by the Library or may be provided by or charged to the Library patron, depending on the nature of the program.
EB Create Liability Waiver, Release, Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement
I am fully aware that participation in EBCreate [including use of the 3D Laser Printer] may result in risk of personal injury or harm to the user. In consideration of being granted the opportunity to participate [to use the 3D Laser Printer], I hereby agree to release and hold harmless the East Brunswick Public Library, East Brunswick Public Library Board of Trustees, and Township of East Brunswick, and their respective officers, employees, volunteers, appointed and elected officials, committees and boards (the “East Brunswick Parties”), from and against any and all liability, loss, damages, claims, or actions for bodily injury, emotional injury, property damage, infringement of intellectual property rights, tort violations and breach of contract (collectively, “Claims”), to the extent permissible by law. [I also agree to indemnify and hold harmless the East Brunswick Parties from any third party Claims arising out of or related to the user’s use of the Library’s 3D Laser Printer, including any claims arising out of or related to whatever the user creates with the Library’s 3D Laser Printer.] My indemnification and hold harmless obligations under this Agreement shall include indemnity against all costs (including without limitation, reasonable attorney's fees and costs), expenses and liabilities incurred in, or in connection with any such Claims or proceedings brought thereon and in defense thereof. I have read and understand this waiver, release, indemnification and hold harmless form, and I voluntarily sign it. I hereby give permission to the East Brunswick Public Library to arrange for emergency transportation and/or treatment in the event of illness or injury and this release extends to any liability arising in connection with such transportation and/or treatment. I hereby accept responsibility for the payment of any emergency transportation and/or treatment. I further certify that I am at least 18 years of age and that I, and/ or my child, if applicable, am/is in good physical condition, and with no medical or physical conditions that would restrict my or my child’s participation in this activity or program [use of the 3D Laser Printer].